The discipline of perfectability is in practice. Practice, repitition, pattern mapping – all terms that speak to the need for the mind and body to repeat an activity in order to approach mastery. Discipline is, then, a demonstration of the will to practice. This is one way to look at it.
- Training expected to produce a specific character or pattern of behavior, esp. training that produces moral or mental improvement.
- Controlled behavior resulting from disciplinary training; self-control.
- Control obtained by enforcing compliance or order.
- A systematic method to obtain obedience.
- Order based upon submission to authority.
- Punishment to correct or train.
- A set of rules or methods, as those regulating the practice of a church or monastic order.
- A branch of knowledge or teaching.
Each of these conventional definitions is loaded with innumerable associations which may be positive, negative or neutral. Some of the definitions refer to internal discipline…others to external forms of discipline.
What does discipline mean for you?